Tim Pickens has been featured in local, national and international publications, as well as on national television shows. Features include his serious company innovations, and also his fun home hobby efforts such as rocket trucks, rocket bikes and suitcase rockets. He is currently building and testing a water/jet ski-powered jet pack belt that can be seen from time to time flying over Alabama lakes.
Pickens gained national media attention in 2005 when he designed a rocket bike by attaching a custom 200-pound-thrust laughing gas and asphalt rocket engine to his bicycle, capable of blasting him from 0 to 60 miles an hour in five seconds. He has been featured in CNN Money magazine, Popular Mechanics, Air and Space Magazine, Popular Mechanics, The Los Angeles Times, and The New York Times, and on The Daily Show for his space perspective, as well as his hybrid rocket bikes, jet scooters, rocket packs and
other devices that he develops and rides.
Pickens got a chance to prove his “real world” technical aptitude in an episode of the National Geographic Channel’s show, “Mad Scientists,” in the fall of 2011.
“Mad Scientists” is a show that challenges hand-picked scientists, inventors and tinkerers from all over the country to accomplish seemingly impossible technical feats in 48 hours.
For media inquiries, contact Pickens directly.
Online Stories About or Quoting Tim Pickens
- Alabama rocketeer Tim Pickens talks space flight, rocket bikes (Made in Alabama, Alabama Department of Commerce)
- Rocket pioneer Tim Pickens joins Moon Express as Chief Propulsion Engineer and Establishes Huntsville Office (San Francisco Business Times)
- California company absorbs Huntsville’s Google Lunar X Prize team (al.com)
- Full Force Innovator (Business Alabama)
- Tim Pickens Profile (Space News)
- How Huntsville Breeds Rocket Scientists (The Atlantic Cities magazine)
- In Thrust We Trust (Air & Space Magazine)
- Rocket Town: Huntsville, Alabama (CNN Money)
- When the Germans, and Rockets, Came to Town (The New York Times)
- Learning from a Rocket City Pioneer (NASA – Ask the Academy)
- A Real Rocket Bike (Popular Science)
- Rocket on Two Wheels (CNN.com)
- Tim Pickens on Nat. Geo’s “Mad Scientists (RLV and Space Transport News)
- Tim Pickens to Appear on “Mad Scientists” (Parabolic Arc)
- Space tourism might bridge the gap between NASA, private companies (al.com)
- Dynetics buys Huntsville-based rocket propulsion contractor Orion Propulsion (al.com)
- Dynetics Announces Purchase of Orion Propulsion (SpaceRef)
- Tim Pickens Sells Orion Propulsion to Dynetics (Parabolic Arc)
- National Space Society Congratulates Tim Pickens (NSS Blog)
- Boeing and Orion Propulsion Sign Mentor-Protege Agreement (Boeing.com)
- Zoom! The Rocket Bike! (Live Science)
- Huntsville engineering gave SpaceShipOne motor a boost (al.com)
- Startup Tests Propulsion System for Commercial Space Station (Space News)
- Private spaceship project joins 2 unlikely partners (The New York Times)
- “Spirit of Alabama” wins Rocket City Space Pioneers’ lander-naming contest (The Huntsville Times)
- Space Pioneers choose Pelham 4th grade class name for lunar lander (42)
- Rocket City Space Pioneers rocket demo at Riverton School (The Huntsville Times)
Interviews With Tim
- Bloomberg’s Taking Stock Podcast
- Rocket Interview at Barber Motorsports Park, Porsche Race (Bloomberg Business Radio)
- City Space Pioneer to be on NatGeo Channel (Moonandback)
- The Space Show
- The Space Show
- Virtually Speaking Science (blogtalkradio)